Topic: Tactical Fleet Combat Beta - BUG REPORT  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Brendan Drain

• Developer
    • View Profile
Tactical Fleet Combat Beta - BUG REPORT
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »
+10 (?)

Please use this thread to report any bugs, crashes, performance issues, or graphical glitches you find in the Predestination Combat Beta. Please include the following in your report:
  • A brief description of the issue.
  • Which scenario was the issue in?
  • What were you doing at the time the issue occurred? Full reproduction steps would be extremely useful, but even a general description of what causes the issue will help us narrow it down.
  • For crashes, a screenshot of the crash dialog or copy-paste the text from the dialog.
  • For performance issues, please post your Frame Rate and system specs (particularly processor, graphics card, RAM, and version of Windows). Use Fraps or a similar tool to get an accurate frame rate reading.
  • For graphical issues, please include or link to a screenshot.
We will investigate each report, try to reproduce it, and then add all confirmed bugs to Known Bugs list in this post.

Known Bugs:
  • The AI does not currently know how to fire missiles or drones/interceptors. If you press the Auto button to put the AI in control of your ship, it will not fire those weapons.
  • The AI will never use active modules like afterburners, shield boosters, and armour repairers.
  • The rotating ship models in the left hand pane are upside down.
  • The green team's frigate model and some of the destroyed ship models are back to front.
  • The warp effects cause some framerate issues with older GPUs. Note: The latest version has improved warp and explosion framerates.
  • Missiles getting reactive striked sometimes causes the game sometimes crashes with a Null Pointer Exception on some computers. (Not Yet Reproduced)
  • In the missile scenario, rarely you'll see a ship's model rendered in place of a missile's model (May be causing the above crash)
  • Interceptors returning to base sometimes causes a crash (Not Yet Reproduced) Note: Reports say it may happen if they're in a cloaking nebula?
  • Clicking on the weapon buttons on the right hand pane during a missile's turn will crash the game.
  • On certain versions of Windows 7, the game seems to crash with a System.FormatException. A fix has been found! Please download the latest version at http://predestinationgame.com/CombatBeta.zip if you were having this issue.
  • The game may crash in resolutions of 2560 x 1440
If you have any general feedback, ideas, or suggestions, please head over to the General Feedback thread and let us know! If you're having any trouble getting the game downloaded or installed, or want some information on the game and the four scenarios, check out the Help & Information thread.

Cheers,
-- Brendan, Lead Developer
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:56:54 AM by Brendan Drain »

Offline Kafkahead

• View Profile
Re: Tactical Fleet Combat Beta - BUG REPORT
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
Okay, first bug up. Started up the game at a 1376x768 resolution, no idea about my PC make-up, other than it has 4 Gbs of RAM, an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 Ghz and a Nvidia GForce 9400 GT graphics card. No idea about any other specs.

What essentially happened was, after running the install through the predestination.application and downloading the game, the resolution of the game somehow went wrong. Specifically, this way:

http://postimg.org/image/m03efctqp/
http://postimg.org/image/n7sjqg8bn/

Any idea of what's wrong?

Offline Brendan Drain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Okay, first bug up. Started up the game at a 1376x768 resolution, no idea about my PC make-up, other than it has 4 Gbs of RAM, an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 Ghz and a Nvidia GForce 9400 GT graphics card. No idea about any other specs.

What essentially happened was, after running the install through the predestination.application and downloading the game, the resolution of the game somehow went wrong. Specifically, this way:

http://postimg.org/image/m03efctqp/
http://postimg.org/image/n7sjqg8bn/

Any idea of what's wrong?
Interesting, you're the first to test it with that screenheight so this is very useful. The first is a bug that I thought I'd fixed with the background placement on the main UI, I'll look into it. The second is something I've never encountered -- The scrollbar width is being set to a huge number. I'll I'll see if I can replicate the issue and would you mind if I sent you a link to an updated test build if I can solve it?

The debug buttons are also overlapping the main UI at this height, I'll look at moving them.

Offline ToG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
Spec

AMD BE-2350 2.50GHz
2GB Ram 900MHz
AMD HD6450 1GB

Scenario 1

The ship warp in effect lags alot on low end GPUs (AMD HD6450/7450).

Selecting to fire the first weapon opens up a small dialog with details of the weapon which closes after firing but the text is still there.

I cant pre-select my weapons when my ships is moving. This is annoying

Scenario 2

Mines can't be replaced before the battle if they're put down in error.

After firing sometimes it seems to auto select the next weapon and not at other times

There needs to be a salvage all option

Scenario 3

The afterburner seems to double your movement quota but this doesn't make sense. It should double your REMAINING quota. If I can move 10 squares then the afterburner should let me move 20 but If i've already moved 5 squares then the afterburner should double my remaining movement (I've moved 5 and double the remaining 5 to 10) and let me move 15.

Scenario 4

AMD HD6450 Can't cope well going close up on nebulae or with the ship warp in effect. drops to a few fps.

The auto option needs to be faster than real time or have the option to be (skipping movement animations perhaps)

Sometimes the icon for 'auto' doesnt change when it's active. It needs to be more obvious that it's on.

The ability to selfdestruct/target my own ships needs to be added so I can backstab people and say it's tactics.

We need a 'snap UI to active ship button' and centre camera on each ship during their turn doesnt work

All the particle effects for weapons run poorly on a low end GPU. CPU could probably do a better job for some. In this scenario everything was slower. Zooming out made it speed up to normal speed.

Some of the weapons are allowing me to fire them twice for some reason?

On defeat it still shows the text as if I'm salvaging ships

Other

Two button zoom on the battlefield would be nice. (i.e. moving the mouse away/towards with both buttons pressed.

Pushing the report bug button doesn't minimise the game, just launches a new window.

Not really a bug but it would be nice if flipping the field upside down didn't invert left/right.

A missile can't avoid my nice shiny ship if it's in the missiles path but it can easily navigate a debris field from an exploded ship. Doesn't make sense.

Clicking on your next action too fast doesn't work.

Publisher unknown on install, probably needs a certificate to validate the games authenticity.

Overall

So far so good, The game is very GPU hungry so some lower spec settings would be nice. It's very good on Ram and processor but requires alot of GPU processing time.

Offline DatonKallandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »
Scenario 3

The afterburner seems to double your movement quota but this doesn't make sense. It should double your REMAINING quota. If I can move 10 squares then the afterburner should let me move 20 but If i've already moved 5 squares then the afterburner should double my remaining movement (I've moved 5 and double the remaining 5 to 10) and let me move 15.

Should it though? If there's no specific advantage to moving before hitting afterburner, giving you the full double is just being nice to people who didn't check before the move if they actually need the afterburner - and if there's no advantage from doing it that way, it doesn't hurt anyone.

Offline ToG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
Then don't call it afterburner, call it extended fuel capacitors or something. Afterburners work by making your speed faster and more efficient. It doesn't logically make sense for it to magically double your initial range half way through your moves.

edit: If it's a true afterburner like i've described then the benefit for not using it initially could a cooldown effect or the ability to escape a missile by using a quick burst of afterburner perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:17:54 PM by ToG »

Offline Kafkahead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
Interesting, you're the first to test it with that screenheight so this is very useful. The first is a bug that I thought I'd fixed with the background placement on the main UI, I'll look into it. The second is something I've never encountered -- The scrollbar width is being set to a huge number. I'll I'll see if I can replicate the issue and would you mind if I sent you a link to an updated test build if I can solve it?

The debug buttons are also overlapping the main UI at this height, I'll look at moving them.

Sure thing. Send it away. I think my e-mail is on the profile.

EDIT: Oh, also, the same warp in / low FPS frame bug is happening to me. Will report once I get the new test build.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:25:19 PM by Kafkahead »

Offline DatonKallandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »
Then don't call it afterburner, call it extended fuel capacitors or something. Afterburners work by making your speed faster and more efficient. It doesn't logically make sense for it to magically double your initial range half way through your moves.

edit: If it's a true afterburner like i've described then the benefit for not using it initially could a cooldown effect or the ability to escape a missile by using a quick burst of afterburner perhaps?

Ships also don't move one after the other in reality. Gameplay should always trump verisimilitude. Although I agree Afterburner might not be the best name for it.

Edit: If I get something on the function of something in the beta wrong, correct me. I currently don't have access to it and unless something changes and we can buy our way into the beta at a later date I won't ever have access.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:45:42 PM by DatonKallandor »

Offline ToG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Sure thing. Send it away. I think my e-mail is on the profile.

EDIT: Oh, also, the same warp in / low FPS frame bug is happening to me. Will report once I get the new test build.

The effect just needs optimized or an option to offload it to CPU rendering.

Offline Dragoon24

• Verified Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
Noticed a bug, game crashed when an interceptor's target was destroyed and tried to land back on it's cruiser on scenario 4

Offline Hunter42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
In my case game started up fine, but as soon as clicking the Combat Tutorial button the game crashed (with a graphics error message, Bug Report submitted). This may be related to the fact, that i run Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop on a iMac.

Michael

Offline Tuhalu

• Verified Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »
When in Fleet Deployment for the second scenario, I was able to place units on hexes hidden by the interface. Not really a bug, but possibly annoying. Since you can't move those orbital guns and graviton mines after you first place them, there is the possibility to misclick (and fail to drag) an item, dropping it onto the map in a place not of your choosing.

Offline akarnokd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
Crashes on startup with:

System.FormatException

System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
System.Number.ParseSingle(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
System.Single.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
System.Convert.ToSingle(String value, IFormatProvider provider)
System.String.System.IConvertible.ToSingle(IFormatProvider provider)
System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvider provider)
Predestination.GameOptions.LoadSettingsFromFile()
Predestination.GameOptions.Initialize(ContentManager Content)
Predestination.Game1.Initialize()
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
Predestination.Program.Main()

Windows 7 x64 SP1 Hungarian

Offline Deichgraf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
hm...

Sent a crash report:

During scenario 3 deployment phase: Used auto deploy feature. The tutorial popup appeared and it crashed.

Performance so far is very good, though I don't know if it's performance related: The screen shake everytime a ship explodes is way too fast and janky.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:45:16 AM by Deichgraf »

Offline DatonKallandor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Clicking a weapons name to activate it shoves down all the other items in that window out of frame - clicking it again brings them back, but also displays all the info text (of all the weapons) overlayed on everything else in that window. Functionality is unaffected, everything still works when clicked - it just obstructs the view.

Need a dxdiag or anything?

Watching this topic: 0 Members and 1 Guest